Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Service Learning #1

1. Activism: I did my Service Learning in the beginning of the semester with The Slam Dunk for School Safety Basketball tournament, I was responsible for securing donations for the raffle and also for finding food for the event. The first week was when I did a lot of research on various businesses in my area to see who would donate and I also went around to a bunch of places to see if any of them would be interested in donating.
2. Reflection: So far my work on this project definitely correlates with what we are talking about in class, we've been discussing Batliwala's Feminist Leadership forSocial Transformation and she says that, transformative feminist leadership will use the analysis of gender and social discrimination in a particular society, community, or
setting as its starting point, and will attempt to transform the structures or institutions it engages towards a more gender and socially equitable architecture in both formal and informal terms. And of course, this politics must begin at home, from within the organization, movement, or other location from which it is attempting to change the larger reality (51). The Slam Dunk for School Safety Basketball tournament is raising
money for YWLP's LOL Project which is about raising awareness about bullying. So the leadership we are doing for this tournament, this project and with YWLP is attempting to change the social structure of bullying and schools.
3. Reciprocity: This is the first time I have worked with securing donations for a raffle for service learning and it is actually really hard work. I have tabled before and raised money that way but actually going to places and calling trying to secure donations was a very daunting task for me because I can be a little shy when it comes to asking for things. If anything this project gave me a little more courage in asking for things especially when it is for something I believe very strongly in.
Works Cited:
Batliwala, Srilatha. "Feminist Leadership For Social Transformation: Clearing the Conceptual Cloud." Crea (2011): 66. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment