Thursday, April 12, 2012

Service Learning #2

1. Activism: This week I contacted more businesses to see if they would be able to donate some items for the basketball tournament. I visited The Dessert Lady, Cobb Theaters, and Massage Envy, a few restaurants and I called the Central Florida Zoo and emailed the Science Center. I was successful with some of them and with others I could not get a response but all in all I was able to secure a lot of donations.
2. Reflection: According to Carli and Eagli, female leaders are expected to fulfill the female gender role by being warm and selfless, and on the other hand, they are also expected to fulfill the leadership role by displaying assertiveness and competence (101). In doing my service learning this week I learned this part of female leadership because I had to be assertive and competent when talking to these businesses if I was going to get them to donate to the basketball tournament.
3. Reciprocity: This service learning project is really rewarding because it’s taking me out of my comfort zone in having to go around to businesses and calling and emailing people. This project is helping me find and cultivate skills I didn’t know I had.
Works Cited:
Eagly, Alice, and Linda Carli. Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders. Harvard Business School Press, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment