Thursday, April 12, 2012

Service Learning #3

1. Activism: This week was when all the work we had done on the project came together, I collected all of the items I got donated and then we all got together and put the baskets together for the raffle at the basketball tournament. I was able to secure donations from two different restaurants, the Orlando Magic, the Orlando Science Center, and Starbucks. Putting the baskets together was also a lot of hard work but still really fun, it was nice seeing everything come together.
2. Reflection: Marie Wilson stated in her book Closing the Leadership Gap, that “everyone knows at least one women who should be urged to follow her dream, a woman who is utterly capable of being more than she is if only she were given encouragement; don’t wait for the culture to change, change it yourself by helping others to step forward (71). All the work we are doing with the basketball tournament for the LOL Project is encouraging these girls to change the current culture of bullying and also to become advocates for their fellow students.
3. Reciprocity: I feel like this may have been one of the most rewarding service learning projects I’ve worked on because it involved working with an organization that I feel is really important and for a cause that is extremely detrimental to adolescents and is becoming more prevalent in schools and even online. It also made me step out of my comfort zone and do things I may not have been comfortable doing before like calling businesses and asking for donations. I was not able to actually attend the basketball tournament but I heard it went really well, so I was very proud of all the work everyone did on it.
Works Cited:
Wilson, Marie: Closing the Leadership Gap; Add Women, Change Everything. London: Penguin, 2006. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment